Visiting Houston - What to See and Do
(George Bush Houston Airport IAH, Texas - TX, USA)
Houston is a huge city with numerous attractions for visitors to enjoy.
It has a rich history and is home to many first-class restaurants, shops, theaters, museums, art galleries, music venues, parks and sports and entertainment facilities.
Known as the 'Bayou City', Houston is the fourth largest city in the US and is an important cultural and historical center.
Ten things you must do in Houston
- Blast off into space, or at least visit Space Center Houston, the city's premier tourist attraction which has a space shuttle simulator, interactive displays and much more.
- Take a trip to Houston's famous zoo, which is home to many exotic animal species from around the world.
- Visit the Downtown Aquarium for a glimpse of life under the seas. Among the attractions on offer is a train ride taking you through a tunnel in the shark tank.
- Enjoy the outstanding views over Houston from the observation deck of the city's tallest building, the 75-story JP Morgan Chase Tower.
- Step back in time at one of Houston's many excellent museums, such as the Contemporary Arts Museum, Menil Collection and the Natural Science Museum.
- Stroll around one of the city's superb art galleries including the Lawndale Art Center, Museum of Fine Arts and the Rice University Art Gallery.
- Visit the nearby San Jacinto Battlefield, where the state of Texas became independent from Mexico. The San Jacinto Monument column is the world's tallest memorial at 570 feet.
- Get away from the hustle and bustle of the city at one of Houston's green spaces such as the huge Hermann Park or the Houston Arboretum & Nature Center.
- Take the kids to Six Flags Astroworld or Waterworld, two neighboring theme parks with plenty of fun attractions for all the family to enjoy.
- Dine out at one of Houston's many superb restaurants, and then sample the city's lively nightlife with a few drinks at one the many bars and clubs peppered throughout the city.